What is SalonAnthro?

SalonAnthro is a repository of blog entries, interesting notes videos and other tidbits, and junior scholarly research on politics of representation, art, and anthropology. My focus is particularly on representation and visual art from an anthropological perspective and located in the Middle East. Other contributors are always welcome; if you have some thoughts about a piece, drop me a line!

Sunday, June 26, 2011

NYC History: Greenwood Cemetery



Well, now that Hatred is buried, we can move forward as a planet, right?

Recently I visited Greenwood Cemetery for the first time, which is mildly embarrassing given that I've lived 20 blocks away from this historic landmark for 2 years now. Perhaps I felt that cemeteries are morbid (or a site of abjectourism, perhaps?), but I'm glad I got over my hangup!

Greenwood Cemetery was founded in 1838, and spans 478 acres of hilly, once-rural Brooklyn. Famous folks are buried here, from Bill the Butcher (see: Gangs of New York), Louis Comfort Tiffany, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Boss Tweed, Leonard Bernstein, and Susan Smith McKinney-Stewards, New York's first black woman doctor.





Greenwood is absolutely beautiful, and relaxing.





And the lovely Greenwood Chapel:



I highly recommend taking a walk through Greenwood during the summer. It's a calming throwback to Old New York, and one of the few places in America with substantive and lengthy history.

No comments:

Post a Comment