What is SalonAnthro?

SalonAnthro is a repository of blog entries, interesting notes videos and other tidbits, and junior scholarly research on politics of representation, art, and anthropology. My focus is particularly on representation and visual art from an anthropological perspective and located in the Middle East. Other contributors are always welcome; if you have some thoughts about a piece, drop me a line!

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Talk to me! Feedback from women in the Arab art scene

Please repost or tweet!

Call for participation: women art enthusiasts in the Arab world


I am conducting research on the phenomenon of women-only viewings at art fairs and museums in the Arab Gulf. If you attend or enjoy art events in the Gulf or the Arab world in general, I'd like to speak with you. We can communicate via email in Arabic French, or English, or via Skype or G-Chat in English or French - unfortunately I am not funded to travel to the Gulf to meet in person. I am happy to protect your privacy in any way you wish.

Below are the kinds of questions I'd like to get a variety of answers to:
What do you think about women-only viewings?
Are they helpful? Does it encourage or discourage you from attending exhibitions? Would you attend if women-only viewings were not scheduled? Do you attend the exhibitions during non-restricted hours?
How do you respond to the idea that women-only events are a “regional custom”? What is your interpretation of this phenomenon? Why do you think it is happening, what do you think is the cause?

I don't have an argument I want to make from your feedback or an agenda, but am generally interested in understanding how different people respond to this occurrence. Please find me at eaharrington at gmail or beth_slnanthro on Twitter; you're also welcome to leave a comment on this blog with a way to get in touch with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment